05 January 2023 – Leading Classification Society ClassNK released amendments to its Rules and Guidance for the Survey and Construction of Steel Ships dated 27 December 2022. ClassNK is constantly revising its Rules and Guidance in order to reflect the latest results from relevant research and development projects, feedback from damage investigations, requests from industry, as well as changes made to the relevant regulations such as international conventions and IACS unified requirements (UR). Some of the amendments announced this time are as follows:
- Amendments of requirements for strength assessment by cargo hold analysis based on feedback from impact study carried out with the cooperation of various shipyards on ClassNK’s comprehensive revision of its structural rules
- Increase of the maximum applicable plate thickness of rolled steels for low temperature service used for cargo tanks of ships carrying liquefied gases in bulk and fuel tanks of low flash point fuels such as LNG.
- Specification of requirements for ships equipped with accumulator battery systems using large-capacity lithium-ion batteries and the relevant class notations
- Amendments on the requirements for thickness measurements at Special Surveys for the ships applicable to ESP Code in accordance with the MSC Resolution and IACS UR
- Addition of measures against hydraulic lock of steering gear in accordance with the IACS UR
- Prohibition of the use of antifouling paints containing cybutryne in accordance with the MEPC Resolution
The amendments are available via “My Page > Rule Amendments for Technical Rules” at ClassNK website: https://www.classnk.or.jp/account/en/Rules_Guidance/ssl/amendments.aspx